Here's a quick history of the development of this site, with the most recent additions first:
- Jan 2022: Doubled the number of deep dives
- Dec 2021: Website launched with fully commented source code and accompanying repository
- Sep 2021: Repository created with buildable but uncommented source code
- Aug 2021: Disassembly of original game binaries begins
Next steps for this project
This project is a work in progress. Here are my current plans:
- I'd like to write a top-level view of how Aviator works, for the more casual reader. Deep dives and source code are all very well, but it can be a bit forbidding to non-coders.
- The commentary needs tidying up and clarifying in places - there are one or two areas where the code is documented in terms of explaining what the code does, but I'm still trying to get my head around exactly how it works, so those areas still need addressing.
- I'd like to create 3D visualisations of the objects and map in Aviator, as it's a bit hard to tell what's going on visually from the source code.
Watch this space!